Thursday, April 8, 2010

Shirring Regency Girls' Dress Pattern



At Expo this year, I took a class from Sew It Up and learned about the different children's garments and patterns that are in fashion these days. I really liked how she gave clear descriptions of the various different pattern maker's patterns. She listed the pros and cons of the various patterns, which I find extremely helpful in decided on whether or not I want to invest money and time into using a particular line of patterns.

One of the techniques she mentioned that is popular right now, both in children's wear and women's wear is, shirring. Shirring is a very old technique, I had just never used it, until now. There are several tutorials on the internet that can help you find your way around how to do this. You need to practice and see how your particular machine handles the elastic thread in the bobbin and what setting to use to get the best results.

I decided to use my tried and true pattern, A Girls' Regency Dress Pattern. I used a nice weight quilter's cotton that I purchased a few years ago, for $1.50 a meter. I shirred the front and back of the dress as well as the sleeves. Thankfully, Olivia's blue spencer still fits her so she can wear it with this dress as well. I took an old straw bonnet frame and put some blue satin ribbon on it and put on a lovely silk flower that I learned to make down at Expo as well.





Here is Olivia all dressed up in her new shirred Regency dress with spencer and bonnet.

I hope those of you who have been wanting to try this method, take the plunge and give it a try....it's lovely!

Carol



2 comments:

Serena said...

It's lovely (and Olivia is so cute!). Now, did you follow the instructions for making the neckline and waistline with elastic, but then shir it instead? I love the way it looks, and would love to make my daughter a dress like it.

Carol said...

Hi Serena,

I have hopefully answered your question in my construction process that I posted in this thread here: http://stitchedbyhislove.blogspot.com/2010/04/construction-of-dress-shirring.html You could do this in two pieces, the bodice being one and the skirt the other section. I chose to make them one piece.

I hope you do use this technique and if you do, I would LOVE to see what you come up with. This really is a fun technique with great possibilities for growing children. :)

Think of the skirts, dresses, shirts, etc. that you could use this technique on, it could be quite fun!

Carol