Saturday, December 4, 2010

Salsa Skirt Information


When I said this was an easy skirt, I realized afterward that 'easy' is a relative term. So, please let me just share a bit about the skirt details, so you can determine for yourself if you think this is an 'easy' pattern to sew up for you.

First I must say, this pattern was designed for 'slinky knit fabric. Usually this type of knit is sold in large widths. Slinky knit has a great drape to it and good quality slinky knit is expensive. In my picture here, you can see the slinky knit skirts I have made. In this collage I have made two slinky knit skirts. The black and print fabric skirt, alternating the panels solid/print, is made from two different slinky fabrics. The navy blue green skirt is also a slinky fabric. The other two skirts, one is made form wool and the other is made from linen. Because the fabric is designed for knit, I used a size up for my woven fabric skirts. I have made 6 of these skirts so far, three in slinky knit and three in woven fabrics. With two of the woven fabric skirts, I have put a zipper in one of the seams. With going up a size in the pattern, it's not really necessary. This last one I made out of wool, I did not put a zipper in it. I did add about 2" to the length of the skirt, which is very easy to do, just like taking a couple of inches off is pretty easy to do as well.

There is only one pattern piece. It is a spiral shape. You must cut all of the pieces, facing up. In other words, you do not put 'right sides together' or fold the fabric so you can cut two pieces out at the same time. However, you can stack your pieces, cutting all 6 panels out at once. You cut a section of fabric out that will be large enough to fit the spiral shape onto it. Cut six pieces of the same size out. Stack them altogether, pin on your traced out pattern piece and cut them all out at once. Because of the curve of the spiral piece, you use only a 3/8" seam allowance. You are sewing an inward curve with and outward curve, which can be a bit tricky, if you haven't ever done that before. Once you have done it, it's easy. Because you only have a 3/8" seam allowance, you want to have a way to finish off your seams. I have a serger and serge my seam, after I have sewn the seam together with my conventional machine. If you do not have a serger, you can zig zag your seams allowance together, you can bind them together with some bias tape. If you are using knit, you do not have to do that as the knit will not unravel on you. It's the woven pieces you want to finish off. I do finish off my knit with a serger, but I don't have to.

As is, the pattern has an elastic waist, but if you want to tailor it more, you can eliminate that and put the zipper in the seam. This pattern has flexibility to it. You can play with it and have fun. Use two different fabrics or three different ones. If you want more volume, add another panel or two, but then I would drop down a size or two, depending on how many more panels you wanted to add.

Once you have made this skirt you will want to make more. It has a wonderful 'kick' to it when you walk. :)

Enjoy,

Carol

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew this skirt was a bit complicated, but the results are just beautiful! :)

M.

Kathryn said...

Thanks for breaking it down, I just love this skirt but I'd most likely need to do a mock up to test the length first and make sure it doesn't shorten me a good skirt can give me some length and this one looks like it might be the ticket!