Monday, February 21, 2011
Destiny Dress #3 Finished
Here is my 3rd Destiny Dress completed. It's another cotton dress with a cotton lining. I lined the bodice with the fashion fabric and the skirt portion with white muslin.
I used a sea-foam green coloured silk blend sash to accessories the dress and to pull in any extra fullness needed to be pulled in, depending on the size of the girls who will wear this dress. You can see ribbon threaded through the cotton lace that was hand stitched on the sleeves, and then some cotton lace at the bottom of the dress. I was careful to make sure the lace at the bottom was up high enough to not disturb the hem of the dress, in the event the hem needs to be taken down. Once again, I used Carol Schafer's suggestion to first machine stitch the hem, then flip it up and hand stitch it. I really like this hem treatment for flexibility.
I used the same T & T pattern as I did in the first two dresses. I once again drafted out the bodice back side pieces. Brought the dropped shoulder up to true shoulder, lengthened the bodice by 1" and used 1/2" seam allowances to give more room. This dress would fit a size 6-8, depending on the size of the girl. This time I used the same fashion fabric to cover the buttons for the front opening.
Another joyful gift to go off to a welcoming little girl.
I am praying that one day, I will get the privilege of seeing a little girl wearing one of these dresses. :)