Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Oliver + S Popover Sundress Shirred

Last year at sewing Expo, I took a class that gave me more hints and such to using shirring for dressmaking. You can see my first project HERE. I have several sketches of the Oliver + S Popover Sundress dancing in my head. One of those sketches was a shirred version of the dress. I have been searching for dress patterns that are quick to make, or that I can make into quick-making dresses for the ministry, Destiny Dresses. I want to make dresses that are beautiful, but also flexible in their fitting. I never know what little girl will get one of these dresses and I want it to work well for several shapes and sizes.

I apologize for the not so nice pictures. They were taken at 1:30 in the morning, before boxing them up and shipping them off, so not the best lighting or anything, but I hope you get the idea of what they look like.

Shirring seemed like a good idea for this dress pattern. I had to make changes to the pattern to make this possible. This is the first test run of the dresses and they appear to have worked well. Now I can sew up some of these dresses for the ministry. :) These dresses are going elsewhere. ;)

These three dresses are made from a nice cotton. I would have loved to make slips to go with these or lined them, but I ran out of time. I am still planning for some slips. I think I might try to see if shirring can be done with a double layer, but I have my doubts on that. It would be great if it worked. :)

The pattern is a free download that you can get HERE just get the PDF link and you can instantly download the pattern. The pattern has all kinds of possibilities. I hope some of you will give it a try, if you haven't already. :)

I will give more information on how to do the shirring, in a separate post.



1 comment:

Janel said...

They are beautiful Carol!