Saturday, July 16, 2011
The shirts are finished and the boys are very, very happy. This was a fun project to do for the boys and I am happy we were able to finish them up before the Stampede was over. We don't attend the Stampede, but the general attire around the cities and towns is western wear for the full 10 days of the show. Since we live in red neck country, western wear is acceptable all year long, but at this time of year, more people participate in wearing western wear. :)
I used the Kwik Sew pattern #2274, but I had to grade up the pattern to fit my boys. I find that at this stage of development, it's hard to find patterns that fit well for boys. They are the size of small men, but not quite at the height, so the small men's sizes don't really fit them very well. Grading up a boys pattern works easier for me, than trying to grade down a small men's pattern.
Here are some closer pictures of the shirt. You can see the inside collar stand is made from the contrasting fabric.
The boys really, really like their new shirts and I am happy all went well. My goal for this year was to work on men's dress style shirts, so I am off to a good start. I am sure to be making more dress shirts for all my men. I realized there are so many details that various pattern makers put into their patterns. Choosing which options to use to put the shirts together is difficult, but fun! I will be trying out the various placket methods and such as I sew up more shirts.
The boys already have another project for me to work on for them.......the research has started and the process has begun. This will be fun!
Thanks for visiting,