Sunday, February 19, 2012

1912 What to Wear?


This year marks 100 years since the sinking of the Titanic, but it also marks the 100 year anniversary for the Calgary Stampede  Add to the mix the Vintage Pattern Lending Library vpll1912 Project and I can see I might need a few 1912 garments. :)

Having spent many hours viewing on line, the garments from ca 1912, along with several of my own personal materials, I have started dreaming up garments from the time period that I would like to make.  If you would like to get some inspiration or read up on some costuming ideas, you can go to Sensibility and read the article with lots of pictures to inspire you.  At the end of the article, you can download a PDF for more images and information.

A few weeks back, I started playing with a modern pattern to change it into a 1912 inspired garment.  It is not historically accurate, but historically inspired.  I used Butterick 5620  It has the lovely princess seams that were very popular at the time.  I would not wear this dress without sleeves, so I have a lace jacket/tunic in the works to go with this.


I took the pattern and lengthened it, narrowed it in the front, but added width to center back to put in a few pleats.  Instead of hook and eyes, I used buttons.  The fabric I used is a silk sari fabric.

I have signed up for the vpll 1912 Project, so I am awaiting my first pattern to arrive.  I am looking forward to sewing up some lovely 1912 garments from this era.

Once this outfit is complete I will post pictures with the lace jacket, or tunic, still not sure which length I will decide is best.

Off to dream of more 1912 projects. :)

Carol

9 comments:

MaggieB. said...

How very elegant you look! What a beautiful project.

Lisa said...

Carol! How lovely! You look great in it.

Carol said...

Thank you ladies, you are very sweet.

I sure hope I can get that lace tunic done in the near future. :)

Janel said...

Carol, that is simply breathtaking! Gorgeous.

Carol said...

You are so sweet, Janel, thank you. I sure like the feel of this silk. ;) I must get working on that lace jacket/tunic...but not now until after Sewing Expo which starts on Thursday, next week.

jennstar said...

The color and the fabric a stunning! And you look lovely. :)

Wish we could have visited more at the wedding.

Aylwen said...

The dress looks lovely on you :) What gorgeous colours, too!

Courtney's Musings said...

Carol, you are so elegant! I love how you pull off wearing hats so beautifully!

Unknown said...

Carol,
you look just AMAZING!!!
I'm blown away!!!You look like you've stepped off the set of a film or the real Titianic. I espcially love the hat with the silk roses.